Tri-Tip is a big cut and really shines through when cooked using a reverse sear. Set yourself up for success and satisfaction with a delicious marinade and perfectly cooked piece of CCM Tri-Tip with this recipe from Chef Austen Granger.
- 1 carter country Tri Tip
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Worchester sauce
- Kosher salt to taste
- Course ground black pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients besides tri tip to medium mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- Place tri tip in a zip top gallon bag and add marinade.
- Get as much air out of bag and seal closed.
- Place in a rimmed dish and into fridge to marinate for at least over night, or up to 3 days for maximum flavor.
- Preheat Traeger or other pellet smoker to 225F. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set up grill for indirect heat to a temperature 225F.
- Place tri tip on grill and cook for 1 to 1.5 hours checking internal temp after 45 minutes and every 10 minutes after, until internal temperature has reached 130F.
- Remove try tip from grill and allow to rest for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Increase grill temperature to high over direct heat.
- Sear tri tip 5 minutes per side and remove from grill.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with sides of choice.